The UF/IFAS Entomology and Nematology Department has a major commitment to conduct research in medical, veterinary and urban entomology and to provide research-based educational opportunities for future specialists in these fields. Medical, veterinary and urban pests are especially severe in Florida’s subtropical and tropical conditions, so there is a special need to develop significant efforts in research to support our academic and Extension programs.
A large contingent of medical entomology faculty works at the UF/IFAS Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory in Vero Beach, and many others work in association with the USDA-ARS Center for Medical, Agricultural, and Veterinary Entomology Laboratory in Gainesville. Outstanding research opportunities exist at the main campus in Gainesville and at several UF/IFAS Research and Education Centers throughout the state.
The faculty members listed below have a strong research focus in this area. Click on the names below to learn more about their research programs.
- Barry Alto, Medical Entomology, Arbovirology, Assistant Professor
- Rebecca Baldwin Urban Integrated Pest Management, Assistant Professor and Undergraduate Coordinator
- Nathan Burkett-Cadena Mosquito Ecology, Biology of Disease Hosts, Assistant Professor
- Roxanne Connelly Medical Entomology, Professor
- Jonathan Day Mosquito Surveillance and Epidemiology, Professor
- Phillip Kaufman Veterinary Entomology, Associate Professor
- William Kern Urban Entomology, Associate Professor
- Philip Koehler Urban Entomology, Endowed Professor
- Cynthia Lord Population Dynamics, Associate Professor
- Philip Lounibos Mosquito Ecology and Behavior, Distinguished Professor
- Faith Oi Urban Entomology, Associate Extension Scientist
- Roberto Pereira Urban Entomology, Research Scientist
- Jorge Rey Wetlands Ecology, Acting Center Directory and Professor
- Rudolf Scheffrahn Biology and Control of Termites, Professor
- Nan-Yao Su Biology and Control of Termites, Structural and Household Pests, Distinguished Professor
- Walter Tabachnick Medical Entomology, Professor
- Emma Weeks Medical and Veterinary Entomology, Assistant Research Scientist