- B.S., Biology, St. John's University, Collegeville, Minnesota, 1990
- Ph.D., Entomology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 1999
Relevant Employment History
- Associate Professor (2012- Present), University of Florida
- Assistant Director of Exhibits and Public Programs (2011-present), Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida
- Assistant Professor (2006-2012), University of Florida
- Insect ecology, population dynamics and conservation, with particular emphasis on Lepidoptera and native insect pollinators.
- Integrated crop pollination
- Road ecology
- Imperiled species recovery
- ALS6046, Grant Writing
- ENY6934, Insect Conservation
Current Research Projects
- Developing sustainable pollination strategies for U.S. specialty crops.
- Evaluating the importance of roadside mowing regimes for native insect pollinators.
- Occurrence, distribution and ecological Studies for the federally endangered Schaus Swallowtail butterfly (Heraclides aristodemus ponceanus).
- "Plant for Wildlife" - evaluating the ability of three types of Florida urban/suburban landscapes - native plants, Florida-Friendly LandscapingTM, and exotic plants - to support native wildlife, including insect pollinators.
- Ecology and conservation of the Florida atala butterfly (Eumaeus atala).
- Remote surveys of the federally endangered Miami blue butterfly (Cyclargus thomasi bethunebakeri).
- Evaluation of native and non-native plants (seed mixtures) in agricultural landscapes for the conservation of insect pollinators.
Books and Book Chapters
Daniels, J.C. 2012. Gardening and landscape modification: butterfly gardens. In R.H. Lemelin (ed.) The Management of Insects in Recreation and Tourism. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. 365 pp.
Daniels, J.C. and S. Takiela 2012. Wildflowers of the Southeast: Field Guide. Adventure Publications, Cambridge, MN.
Daniels, J. C. 2010. Reintroduction of the Miami blue butterfly, Florida, USA. In Soorae, P. S. (ed.) Global Re-introduction Perspectives: Additional case-studies from around the globe (pp. 25-28). IUCN/ SSC Re-introduction Specialist Group, Abu Dhabi, UAE, xii + 352 pp.
Daniels, J.C. and S. Takiela. 2010. Wildflowers of Florida: Field Guide. Adventure Publications, Cambridge, MN. 428 pp.
Daniels, J.C. 2008. Butterfly Gardening. in J.L. Capinera (ed) Encyclopedia of Entomology Vol. 2, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands. pp. 675-683.
Daniels, J.C. 2005. Butterflies of Michigan: Field Guide. Adventure Publications, Cambridge, MN. 414 pp.
Daniels, J.C. 2004. Butterflies of the Carolinas: Field Guide. Adventure Publications, Cambridge, MN. 428 pp.
Daniels, J.C. 2004. Butterflies of Georgia: Field Guide. Adventure Publications, Cambridge, MN. 414 pp.
Daniels, J.C. 2004. Butterflies of Ohio: Field Guide. Adventure Publications, Cambridge, MN. 344 pp.
Daniels, J.C. 2003. Butterflies of Florida: Field Guide. Adventure Publications, Cambridge, MN. 256 pp.
Saarinen E.V. and J. C. Daniels. 2012. Using museum specimens to assess historical distribution and genetic diversity in an endangered butterfly. Animal Biology 62: 337-350
Warren, V., J.C. Daniels and D.A. Hahn. 2011. Aquatic Respiration as a Potential Survival Mechanism of Brephidium pseudofea (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae) Larvae to Intertidal Environments. Environmental Entomology 40:1295-1302.
Trager, M.D. and J.C. Daniels. 2011. Size effects on mating and egg production in the Miami blue butterfly. Journal of Insect Behavior. 24:34-43.
Saarinen E.V., J. D. Austin and J. C. Daniels. 2010 Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size in an endangered butterfly indicate a role for genetic compensation. Evolutionary Applications 3: 28-39.
Zhong, H., L.J. Hribar, J.C. Daniels, M.A. Feken, C. Brock and M.D. Trager. 2010. Aerial ultra-low-volume application of naled: Impact on non-target imperiled butterfly larvae (Cyclargus thomasi bethunebakeri) and efficacy against adult mosquitoes (Aedes taeniorhynchus). Environmental Entomology 39: 1961-1972.
Daniels, J.C., 2010. Review of Insect Species Conservation, by T.R. New, Florida Entomologist 93: 663.
Saarinen, E.V., J.C. Daniels and J.E. Maruniak. 2009. Development and characterization of polymorphic microsatellite loci in the endangered Miami blue butterfly (Cyclargus thomasi bethunebakeri). Molecular Ecology Resources 9: 242-244.
Daniels, J.C. 2009. Cooperative conservation efforts to help recover and endangered south Florida butterfly. Insect Conservation and Diversity 2: 62-64.
Trager, M. and J.C. Daniels. 2009 Ant tending of Miami blue butterfly larvae (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae): Partner diversity and effects on larval performance. Florida Entomologist 92: 474-482.
Trager, M. D., B. M. Boyd, J. C. Daniels and J. A. Pence. 2009. Host plant selection, larval survival and reproductive phenology in Megathymus yuccae (Lepidoptera: Hesperiidae). Environmental Entomology 38: 1211-1218.
Daniels, J.C., E. Rodriguez and J.C. Whelan. 2008. The biology and immature stages of Panacea procilla lysimache (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae) from Costa Rica, with the report of a new locality record. Tropical Lepidoptera Research 18: 80-83.
Miller, J.Y., J.C. Daniels and T.C. Emmel. 2008. Planning for tomorrow: The future of entomological investments. Florida Entomologist 91: 139-144.
Boyd, B. M., J.C. Daniels and G.T. Austin, G. T. 2008. Predaceous behavior by Helicoverpa zea (Boddie) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae: Heliothinae). Journal of Insect Behavior 21: 143-146.
Daniels, J.C. 2007. Courtship solicitation by females of the barred sulphur butterfly, Eurema daira (Lepidoptera: Pieridae). Journal of Insect Behavior 20: 129-135.
Saarinen, E. V. and J.C. Daniels. 2006. Miami blue butterfly larvae (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae) and ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae): New information on the symbionts of an endangered taxon. Florida Entomologist 89: 69-74.